Monday, March 22, 2010

My Mama's King Ranch Chicken Casserole

This is a family favorite for sure! It's super easy to make, and the leftovers are sooo yummy. Cook this-you will love it forever =)

Ingredients:

Corn tortillas (not cooked)
1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can of "Rotel" tomatoes
A LOT of grated CHEDDARcheese (sorry I don't know the exact measurement)
5 cooked chicken breasts (shredded)
1/2 of an onion (I'm not too big of an onion fan, so I only put a 1/2 so if you like more go for it!)

Steps:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Cook chicken with the onion with any seasoning you like to cook chicken with. I like to cook all the chicken and onion in a cup of water to keep the chicken really moist
2. After chicken is cooled, shred it
3. In a mixing bowl mix the cans of rotel, cream of chicken, and cream of mushroom
4. Grate cheese
5. Tear the corn tortillas into 4th's. I don't know exactly how many to tear, I usually start with 15 and go from there.
6. Now you're ready to make your layers!
7. Spray your 9x13 pan with PAM. This stuff likes to STICK!
8. Start with a layer of corn tortillas covering the entire bottom of pan.
9. Add a layer of the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, and rotel mixture on top of tortillas. 10. Add a layer of chicken on top of that.
11. Add a layer of cheese on top of all of that!
12. Repeat layer process till it fills the pan.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees

Recipe Notes:
*I add A LOT of cheese on the very top to finish off my layers, with a little bit of sour cream, too! *You don't have to worry about frying the tortillas because they soak up a lot of the moisture from the liquids.
*ALSO, be REALLY careful about not adding too much of the mixture of cream of chicken, mushroom, and rotel when you make the layers because it will make it really runny.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

Lindsey said...

yum looks waaay good thanks for posting I think I am going to have to try it!